The Cusco region once again offers us a natural wonder that is The Humantay Lake, a natural beauty, a magical, attractive turquoise lake; Which is accessed by walking a 3-hour hike from the town of Soraypampa which is where the mobility leaves us.
You can also do different adventurous activities along the stretch such as mountain biking in the vicinity or stand-up paddling.
What’s your location?
It is located in the town of Mollepata, in the province of Anta, 30 minutes from the city of Cusco in the Vilcabamba mountain range.
What is the altitude?
The Humantay Lake is located on 4200 M.A.S.L. and 13779 feet.
What is the climate you have?
The climate in the lagoon of Humantay is frigid, because it is surrounded by the snow-capped Salkantay and Humantay.
What is the level of difficulty?
The hike to the Humantay Lake has a medium difficulty, the ascent terrain is hard and with small stones and it is a constant and rugged ascent.
What attractions can we see in the Humantay lake?
If you usually enjoy nature and the hike is here where you can connect with nature and see different beautiful landscapes accompanied by spectacular fauna.
- The Nevado de Humantay: Humantay, is a mountain covered with snow that is part of the Andean Cordillera and gives rise to the formation of this great lake that, due to its peculiar turquoise, originates the interest of foreign and national visitors.
- Abundant Flora: In the area predominate the Ichu, the Queñua, the Waqo, the Achupalla de Monte, the Racha-Racha, the Moqo-Moqo, the Jucucha, the Huejontoy, the Tabaquillo, the Paico, the Tintin, Tree ferns, reeds, alders and ornamental plants with seasonal flowers.
- Exquisite fauna: There is a wide variety of fauna such as: Vicunas, the Weasel and the Vizcacha; Among the birds, besides the abundance of partridges, the Swallows, the Gallinazo, the Condor and the Eagle stand out; A wide variety of ducks is present in the lagoon.
- Mystical-Andean energy: The lake is visited by shamans (warlocks) and tourists from all over the world to leave offerings to the Pachamama, divinity that represents Mother Earth in the Inca-Andean culture, by delivering the coca leaves and offering some Drink is dedicated an offering to the Pachamama thanking for having reached the lake successfully.
According to the inhabitants, Nevado Humantay is the youngest son of the Apu Salkantay, and would be in charge of rationalizing and distributing the water that falls from its snow to the populations that live at the slopes of these sensational snow-capped.
Is it necessary to worry about the altitude sickness?
Altitude sickness is the lack of adaptation of the organism to the heights and all the symptoms that it generates in the body. Some of the symptoms are:
- Intense headache,
- Fatigue or physical exhaustion,
- Abundant sleep,
- Nausea and vomiting,
- Digestive disorder,
- Lack of appetite.
- During the hike to the Laguna de Humantay we can take Coca tea known for its medicinal powers, this will help us feel better.
- Wear comfortable and suitable attire for this hike (light and warm trekking pants, walking slippers, warm casaquilla),
- apply sunscreen,
- wear sunglasses,
- a cap or hat,
- trekking poles,
- rain Poncho,
- Snacks or nuts,
- abundant water,
- Coca leaves or lozenges.
Knowing already something more about this natural wonder ” Humantay lake” do not stay with the desire to visit, organize your visit and contact Peru Cusi Tours We are an authorized and guaranteed travel operator to provide the best service; Always offering you responsibility and punctuality that characterizes us.